Adobe announced the winners of their ninth annual Adobe Design Achievement Awards (ADAA), one of the world’s most prestigious student design film competitions in the world. In partnership with the International Counsel of Graphic Design Associations, this year’s competition attracted a record-breaking number of 3,300 entries from 37 different countries.
The award ceremony took place at the Icograda World Design Congress 2009 in Beijing, and honored the most promising students in various fields of design.
Below are the winners in each of the competition’s 12 categories. All winners received a complimentary trip to Beijing to attend the awards ceremony, a US$3,000 cash prize, a copy of Adobe Creative Suite 4 Master Collection, a certificate, and a trophy. Students were also offered a one-year mentorship with a design leader working in their area of interest and appointed to an Icograda Youth Advisory Panel. The winning entries can be viewed at http://adaaentry.com/adaalive.php?year=2009.
- Animation: a team led by David Prosser of the Royal College of Art in London.
- Application Design: Bryan Berger of Full Sail University in Winter Park, Fla.
- Browser-based Design: a team led by Jayheun Kyum of Hongik University in Korea.
- Illustration: Joerg Block of Hamburg University of Applied Sciences in Germany.
- Installation Design: a team led by Margherita Rubini of Università IUAV di Venezia in Italy.
- Live Action: Varathit Uthaisri of Parsons New School for Design in New York City.
- Mobile Design: a team led by Marc Oßwald of University of Applied Sciences Swabian Gmund in Germany.
- Motion Graphics: David Harper of Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind.
- Non-Browser-based Design: a team led by Jared Weinstock of Drexel University in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Packaging: a team led by Adam Paterson of Royal College of Art in London.
- Photography: a team led by Barnaby Coote of Gobelins in France.
- Print Communications: a team led by Jiwon Park of Ewha Woman’s University, and Chung-ang University in Korea.